Saturday 16 July 2011

Black Bear Diaries 2011 Part 15: Eagles and Ducks

I feel like I have disappeared off the face of the planet lately when it comes to sharing my bear encounters with you all. I have been out only a handful of times in the last two weeks and only had 5 bear sightings. I blame it on the fact I started a new job last month which has kept me pretty busy.

I can report though that our little friend who I feared had been shot is infact alive and well and is currently hanging about a berry crop.
 
So what’s been happening lately then if the Bears have been scrarce? Well I did have one very cool encounter last Thursday while I was out on my bike riding the local trails. While I was riding along talking with a local we noticed two Bald Eagles circling and swooping along the river bank. Needless to say I went to investigate right away as someone had mentioned the eagles had been attacking the local ducks. As we got closer you could hear the distressed quacks of a duck on the shore but unfortunately our view was obstructed by bushes. We both stood listening to the ducks dying quacks for about 2 minutes until you could hear the swooping of the eagle flapping its wings. The eagle appeared with the duck in its talons and just behind it was the duck's partner frantically chasing the eagle. 


I have never experienced this before so I'll be sure to go out with my fingers crossed next time. While its unfortunate for the ducks its a spectacle to been seen.
 
We have an insane thunderstorm this evening so I am off to watch the lightening from my bedroom window.




Image © J M Douglas|Photography 2011


Image © J M Douglas|Photography 2011


If you enjoyed this blog please feel free to share this link with friends and family:


Visit my new photography portfolio: http://jamiedouglas.500px.com/#/0


No comments:

Post a Comment