Saturday 23 July 2011

Black Bear Diaries 2011 Part 17: Star

Besides celebrating my Birthday this week I have managed to get out twice to see the bears. Things are starting to get busier in Bear land. This is Star, named after the white mark on her chest that is just visible on the 2nd photo bellow. I hear Star has three cubs but they were nowhere to be seen when I met her on Thursday night. I soon realised when I took the first photograph that another bear was hanging around close by in the bushes to my left which signalled it was time to move out of the area. Star paid no attention to me at all so I knew something was distracting her.  She seemed extremely relaxed though and eventually got up and started wandering along the road towards onlookers before eventually going back into the bushes about 100 meters from where she was originally sat. I am not sure if she had taken a fancy to the other bear or was casually leading it away from her cubs.



Techs: 400MM @ F6.3// 1/125// ISO800//
Canon 7D with 400mm F5.6L

Image © J M Douglas|Photography 2011


Techs: 400MM @ F5.6 // 1/400// ISO1250 // Exp comp -1/3
Canon 7D with 400mm F5.6L

Image © J M Douglas|Photography 2011

To see what keeps me busy behind the camera besides black bears, please visit my new portfolio at:

If you enjoyed this blog please feel free to share this link with friends and family:

For more information on Black Bears visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment