Saturday 4 June 2011

Bear Diaries 2011 Part 13: Bear Cub and the Tree

Ever wondered what a Bear climbing a tree looks like?

I came across the Sow and cub I shared with you in Bear Diaries 2011 Part 10: The Bear Cub and Mum again one evening last week. I was on my bike when I heard some rustling in the shallow stream that runs along the side of the road. At first I didn't really acknowledge it and also if it was a Bear I didn't want to stop right there beside it. I carried on up the road another 20 meters or so and then decided to turn around and investigate, curiosity got the better of me.  It turned out to be the Sow and cub so I was very excited to see them again.  The Sow was in the tall grass doing her thing and I must have startled the little guy when I cycled passed because the cub took to the nearest tree, see below.

Did you know: Black Bears are incredibly good tree climbers unlike their Brown Bear cousins. Good to know if you ever have to run away from a bear although if they can climb trees I am not sure what the alternative means of escape are. Run really really fast?

I'll get some better photos before the end of the season but in the meantime enjoy. I am heading off on a trip so I'll be back in a wee while.


Techs: 400MM @ F5.6 // 1/125 // ISO1600 //
Canon 7D with 400mm F5.6L
Image © J M Douglas|Photography 2011


Techs: 400MM @ F5.6 // 1/125 // ISO1600 //
Canon 7D with 400mm F5.6L
Image © J M Douglas|Photography 2011
 
 

Techs: 400MM @ F5.6 // 1/125 // ISO1250 //
Canon 7D with 400mm F5.6L
Image © J M Douglas|Photography 2011


Techs: 400MM @ F5.6 // 1/125 // ISO1250 //
Canon 7D with 400mm F5.6L
Image © J M Douglas|Photography 2011

To see more of my photos be sure to visit me at 500px: http://500px.com/JamieDouglas

If you enjoyed this blog please feel free to share this link with friends and family:


For more information on Black Bears visit: http://www.bear.org/

1 comment:

  1. Good job, as usual. I especially love the expression of the cub as he seems to peer around the tree trunk towards you -- "what is that guy up to?" type of look. Then he curls up and seems to relax.

    ReplyDelete