Friday 22 April 2011

Black Bear Diaries 2011 Part 3: Introducing the Mums

WOW what a first week with the Bears. I went out four times this week and got many great shots, but Wednesday (April 20th) evening was over the top. I arrived to the field after a swift paced bike ride and as usual the light was fading and rain was starting to land on my sun glasses.
 
When I turned up to the field a large Sow (Correct term for a momma bear) I had never seen before was in the middle of the clearing with 2 cubs. My heart started racing with excitement as I got myself set up and in a good position. I grabbed a few shots but they disappeared after about 5 minutes when another Sow and cub I watched on Monday night showed up on the scene. A double bear whammy.

I watched the Black Sow and cub for about an hour and just as I was about to pack up and leave the Black/Brown Sow came back with her two cubs again for some grassy supper.

For more of the story see the video posted in Part 2.

And now for the introductions:
 
Black/Brown Sow and 2 cubs (1 Black and 1 Black/Brown)


Image © J M Douglas|Photography 2011


Image © J M Douglas|Photography 2011

Black Sow with 1 black cub (This is the SOW and cub that appear in "Bear Diaries 2011" Part 1 and Part 2)


Image © J M Douglas|Photography 2011


Image © J M Douglas|Photography 2011

If you enjoyed this blog please feel free to share this link with friends and family:


For more information on Black Bears visit: http://www.bear.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment